I started collecting miniature statues from games I enjoy. I keep them at my desk at work. Normally the statues come fully assembled. But for the game Armored Core, there are no pre-built statues available — only model kits. Not wanting to invest the time, I held off on an Armored Core statue for months. But when a co-worker announced on Twitter that she had built a model mech, I was inspired. So I ordered the model.
I wasn’t geared up to build models, so I also had to shop for supplies.
The parts were small, and things were slow-going at first.
Wedding invitations turned out to be a bigger project than we thought. Having them made professionally can be very costly, but the do-it-yourself route can be daunting — there are lots of choices when it comes to paper and printing depending on how fancy you want to get. And you have to assemble each of the invitations, too. To keep the paper invitations simple, we thought we’d try something a little unconventional.
From the beginning, Jon wanted to build our wedding web site from scratch instead of using one of those pre-built sites. When we started thinking about invitations, we took it a step further and made a custom version of the site for each invitation. We still made paper cards, but they only had the URL to the custom web site. The cards also had the date of the wedding, so they served as both save-the-dates and invitations.
Since each web site is custom, Jon built the RSVP system into the web site. Kathy learned SQL from this edu-Manga (educational comic book) so she could work on the guest list.
On a recommendation from our friend Karen, we bought the paper from Kelly Paper. The warehouse store was quite overwhelming! We had no idea there were so many different options for paper. We walked through aisle after aisle of paper in different colors, textures, and weights. Fortunately, we found colors that matched our color scheme perfectly.
Once we had the paper, Kathy had her bridesmaids come over to help assemble the cards. Here it is!
The whole thing turned out to be a multi-month-long project, but we are very happy with the results — we hope you like it too.
It has been a year since we took our engagement session photos. At that time, Kathy wanted to try out something with a damask pattern, so we made a prop to use for a picture. Damask pattern was commonly used last year in wedding stationery, table cloths, and backdrops. It is described as a vintage pattern with swirly flowers. Here it is!